The department utilizes four (4) sets of information to guide planners to the correct planning decision for each planning matter:
- Planning and Development Act 2019
- Planning and Development (General Development) Order, 2021
- Physical Development Plan 2017 (Amended)
- Restrictive Policies
These pieces of data are key to the planning process and ensure that both planner and applicant are aware of the necessary steps needed to ensure a successful planning experience.
Planning and Development Act
The Town and Country Planning Act, Cap. 240 was replaced by the Planning and Development Act, 2019 on January 25, 2019, and came into operation on December 7th, 2021, when the Act was proclaimed. The Act details the laws governing the planning process. The Act is divided into the following sections:
- Physical Develop Plans
- Regulation of land Development
- Building, Engineering and Subdivision plans
- Protection of the Cultural and Natural Heritage
- Control of outdoor advertisements
- Acquisition of land for planning purposes
- Planning Appeals
The above information does not seek to replace the Act and persons should read or download the act from the Bills of Parliament website.
Planning and Development (General Development) Order
The Development Order came into operation in 1972 and was revised on the 10th December 2021. This instrument controls permitted development (i.e. applications that do not require planning permission), fees to be charged per application and side distance setbacks, among other things. This document also sets out:
- the procedure for applications to determine whether planning permission is required,
- the procedure for approval in principle,
- the procedure for application for planning permission,
- the procedure for applications to be referred to the Minister responsible for planning.
- It also details the classification of roads, the road reserves and building lines of these roads, the water storage requirement for buildings and the requirements of the Department’s website.
The Order will be amended and these amendments will be published as soon as they are available.
Physical Development Plan
The Physical Development Plan also known as the PDP, is a document detailing various best practices and policies for development of the island. The document provides information relating to the development of various industries and communities around Barbados. The PDP (Amended) 2017 was amended in 2017 and is going through further amendments which will be uploaded once they have been completed.
In the assessment of any application to carry out development, the department must take into consideration the existing restrictive policies wherever possible. These policies include: